[Tango-L] New generation of milongueros

Robin Tara rtara at maine.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 14:57:07 EDT 2007

Hey Janis,

I think there are a few. But just a few - men under 65 who might actually be
able to carry on the real dance of the milongas. You know who they are.
There the guys who don't dance with every new hot chickie who comes too the
milonga. They're the ones who watch - really watch for the women who dance.
They're looking for someone they can mesh with. Someone who moves to the
music and with her partner. If she does any adornos, they're few, subtle, in
the music and she doesn't do the same thing every time. Whether she's 30 or
60 doesn't matter. When a milonguero finds a partner for a tanda, he wants
to please her. He is gracious, playful, gentle and giving when he dances and
between the dances. He walks (preferably dances) his partner to her chair.

There are a few of these guys in the younger generation, thank heavens. Most
of them do not teach or take classes - they dance.

Robin