[Tango-L] Milongueros for Hire

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Mon Oct 15 02:30:14 EDT 2007

Paying for dances is quite an interesting subject. I have heard that in Japan there are far more women than men who dance tango, so the Japanese women have to import men (Argentinians naturally) to dance with. I don't know if that is true, but that is what I have heard and if it is true it is a perfectly understandable reasonable solution to a local problem. Also in Argentina I saw a couple of foreign leaders who had been taking classes with me sitting at tables at Milongas with very attractive young Argentinian women who I presume were tango taxis.

I know from personal experience that it is really difficult to get dances initially in BsAs (and sometimes in other places too!) typically if you are not well known by the local dancers. There is nothing worse than sitting through tanda after tanda of songs that you love not being able to get a dance (particularly if you have to watch other people you know getting dances), but I can't imagine ever paying someone to dance with me. I certainly don't want to criticise people who resort to this because I can understand the need all too well.

However to me the whole point of tango and the joy (and pain) of it is trying to get someone onto the floor based on your own merits. So I always feel terrible if someone suggests they dance with me and I think it is out of obligation. Those are never my best dances or anywhere near my best. Whilst I can understand this sort of arrangement fills a legitimate need, it also makes me think that tango then becomes a bit like a fast food where you just order up your dance partner. Personally I would prefer to spend a year in front of a mirror alone doing exercises until my dance improved. I don't think you can dance at your best unless you are a bit hungry.

Victor Bennetts