[Tango-L] Skilled women [was: buenos aires milongas]

Victor Bennetts Victor_Bennetts at infosys.com
Thu Oct 11 19:38:35 EDT 2007

Its not unusual for a follower to do something you don't expect. I try not to put it down to either poor leading or poor following, but it doesn't make me give up or not want to dance with a particular follower. They all have their good points :-), but some followers just need a little more assistance with certain steps than others. If I don't have the skills to give them more assistance then that is something I would need to work on.

So generally if something has not worked I just lead the same step again, but a little more firmly. And if it still doesn't work maybe a third time. If it doesn't work at that stage then there are two possibilities. The follower may have a certain way of doing a certain step. You can still have a nice dance if you just lead that one step the way the follower is expecting. But I find that pretty rare. In my experience usually the problem is I only led a particular step with people 'expecting' it before. In that case I get help from a more experienced dancer.

Victor Bennetts