[Tango-L] How to break couples who do not want to change partners.

Sorin Varzaru tango at bostonphotographs.com
Thu Oct 11 12:38:36 EDT 2007

The main reason I don't change partners in the workshops is that most people
or at least too many people are in way over their head. I prefer to change
partners, but when the women in class don't have basic following skills, it
makes it a waste of my time and money. So when I take group classes, I
usually bring my own partner  or  find one who is at the appropriate level
and suggest we partner up.

If you want people to switch, you need to make sure that :

a) the class is gender balanced, or at least role balanced. if it's a
beginner class, don't expect men to come back if they have to dance with
other men. It took me a long time to get over my reluctance to dance with
men. To make that happen I would suggest have the (more) advanced class
first, and then offer to the/some more advanced students access for free or
other incentive to volunteer to the (more) beginner class to cover gender
balance.

b) all the people in class are at the appropriate level. And by that, I mean
actual level, not how many months/years they've been dancing.

c) there is usually a mayhem when a switch is asked. Everybody starts moving
like chickens with their head cut off. Make that organized. One teaching
couple used a technique that I found interesting. At the beginning of the
class they identified the gender larger in numbers (it was men in that
case), and then they made them get a partner and sit in a circle. Then they
placed the "leftovers" in between the couples. Then they asked the men to
memorize the exact spot in the room where they were. When a switch was
called, the men would bring their current follower at the designated spot
and then the followers would move one to the right. This insured that
everyone danced with everyone and it encouraged people to switch.

Sorin
my photography site: http://www.bostonphotographs.com
my milonga review site: http://www.milongareview.com
blog: http://sorinsblog.blogspot.com