[Tango-L] My learning of musicality

Tim lists at timbp.com
Fri Oct 5 03:04:10 EDT 2007

Bruno Afonso wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> That's an interesting musical education problem we have here. I must
> say I've fascinated by music in all of its aspects. It is, after all,
> a presence that affects our brain in a remarkable and fascinating way.
>
> While we can - as humans beings - easily find the "beat" if it's not
> too obscure, interpretation requires a more fine understanding of a
> music. And that can be taught. After all, every musician has in a way
> or other built from previous knowledge.

3.5 years ago, I started dancing Ceroc/modern jive (improvisational
lead-follow partner dance with basic step being a walk). I had never
danced before (I'm the guy who stood leaning against the wall with arms
crossed while everyone else was fooling around on the dance floor).
At first it was an achievement just to hear the beat. Then I managed to
do the moves on beat! At some stage I learned to dance on beat.

At one workshop, the teacher explained the structure of the music we
(ceroc/modern jive) normally dance to. It was a revelation. I knew there
was a structure, and if I could find where I was in that structure, I
could predict when there might be a hit or break in the music.

That kept me busy for some time.

Then I started West Coast Swing (improvisational lead-follow partner
dance with basic step being a combination of walks and triples).
Suddenly I had to worry about triple steps. At a musicality workshop,
the teacher explained almost all the same things I'd heard at the Ceroc
musicality workshop, but added an explanation of how the triple steps
fitted. Another revelation -- there were things that happened between
the beats.

That kept me busy for some time, in both ceroc/modern jive and WCS.

At a more recent WCS workshop, the teacher disregarded the beats and
started pointing out things in the melody or words that we could
interpret in our dance.

This is still keeping me busy.

A little while ago I started Argentine Tango (improvisational
lead-follow partner dance based on a walk). I have a lot to learn about
AT technique. I constantly get comments about leading with the arms
(ceroc/modern jive is mostly arm-led). But I also get comments about how
good I am with musicality (3 years ago I couldn't find the beat in an
Elvis song).

With regard to musicality, I'm using only what I have learned in my
previous dancing experience. The basic structure of bars and phrases is
the same. The rhythm within those bars may differ, but beginners won't
notice that anyway.
For hits and breaks (and any other emphatic elements) the music itself
tells you something is coming.

With regard to dancing with musicality, there is a mindset which I have
reached over time, but which is not often available to beginners.
The music is more important than the move.

It both helps and hinders.

In ceroc/ modern jive, I have the technique and dance vocabulary to
respond almost instantly to something in the music (if my partner also
has enough technique).
I haven't danced WCS for quite a while. When I tried recently, I could
hear lots of things in the music that I did not have the technique to
respond to in my lead. My respnnse was to stop dancing because it was
too frustrating hearing the music and not being able to dance as I want.

In AT, I can hear many things in the music. But all I can reliably do is
walk. So I can walk quickly, walk slowly, or pause, depending on the
music. Sometimes I remember how to lead other steps, but I don't want to
lead them just because I've remembered them -- I want to fit them to the
music.

So if the moves don't fit, I don't lead. Or I might think the move fits,
but mess up the lead, or do the move correctly and it doesn't really fit
the music.
All bad dances; I know they are bad dances. And I know (from this list
and various forums) that AT women avoid dancing with men like me, who
don't know lots of moves and lead them to fit the music.
That took me 2 years in ceroc/modern jive, where the prevailing culture
is to help beginners and dance with them no matter how painful. Although
AT is closely related to ceroc (both improvisation, lead-follow partner
dances based on walking), I suspect I need another 2 years to get the
same dance vocabulary and feeling for the music, and it will be harder,
given the attitude I see from various postings (here and elsewhere),
that people should not dance with people of lesser experience/ability.