[Tango-L] The Jungle and Women's Tricky Tricks

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 15:20:46 EDT 2007

I find men not dancing at the milongas after a while when they realize that they do not know how to dance and the expectations are high. Many men try practicas but usually better women dancers do not go to practicas (they may think they do not need them - wrong) to help develop those men who really want to learn to dance so they do not grow and eventually drop off. Mind you, given comparable backgrounds it takes much longer to develop a good male dancer than does a female, in my view.

So, go to practicas, dance generously with those men who want to learn, give them constructive feedback, and soon you will have more men to dance with at the milongas. I think it is way more difficult to become a good male tango dancer than female one, given their traditional tango roles; although, when both dancers are good, it is the female usually who shines, which is just fine with me.