[Tango-L] Some leaders *are* trying to learn Tango rhythm - for some of us, it's just not easy

John Sing singj at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 4 13:55:47 EDT 2007

Hi, all,

I very much appreciate what Bruno said below,

"I believe you always need to take into account how much each person
you are teaching actually "knows and breathes" music".

For many of us (especially guys), who have not grown up with music as part
of our lives, finding and learning the ability to
even hear the tango rhythm properly, let alone dance to it, can be a real
challenge.

For me, after nearly four years of struggle (and patience by my wife), I
am finally developing
the basic skills in hearing the Tango music and being able to dance on
beat
and with some basic syncopation.  Four years is a very long time to be
frustrated...
yet that is what it took for me to finally develop the basic ability to
hear and then
be able to express the music at basic level.

I would ask that many readers just know that I know that while for some of
you it is quite easy....

For some of us, it is just not easy at all (and we certainly wish it was
not so as well)l.

I ask that  you at least have some empathy for those of us guys who are
trying so
hard to learn this difficult dance..... we just don't have the background
or innate
skill to know how to hear and express the music (yet).

Certainly, followers should not feel obligated to subject themselves to
leaders who do not
yet have developed the musicality skill - I am not advocating that, of
course.

Just want to express that there are those of us who know that musicality
is important,
who try mightly, but ....... nature just did not give us the
tools to pick it up fast, and we have to keep learning it until (finally)
we do learn it.....

I for one am an advocate of continual innovation in the teaching of tango.
  Just as
modern science and natural sports medicine has helped gymnastics, other
dance
forms, and athletic performance to excel....   and well-produced
television like Fox TV's
"So You Think You Can Dance"  exposes dance in a popular way to wide
audiences...

I hope that Tango teaching methods also evolve in a positive direction, to
help
students learn necessary skills at a reasonably faster pace.

Certainly, such successful continued teaching innovation would raise the
overall level and
participation of Tango and the number of good leaders in the dancing pool!

Thx.

John Sing
San Mateo, Calif