[Tango-L] Style Wars: Truth and Truthiness

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:39:38 EST 2007

Highly enjoyable discussion.
On the subject of whether it applies to tango-L:
If you're talking about governments or economic systems, while you can of course have highly polarized viewpoints, regardless there are metrics and objective criteria that can be evaluated to assess the truth of one side's assertion of being a "better" system - per-capita income, unemployment rate, price stability, etc. The presence of such criteria are necessary, it seems, so that the "ignoring evidence inconsistent with the position/belief" principle can even be applied.
However it seems to me that most of the really polarized debates on Tango-L are about what I call semantics, eg: what is the difference between the style I call milonguero, vs. the style you call close-embrace? Or: If I'm dancing to pop music, doing steps that (in the absence of music) anyone knowledgeable would recognize as Argentine Tango steps, can I call the dance I'm doing Argentine Tango in spite of the music?
For these kind of questions and issues, it seems the relevant core factors are personal preference and values, and I cannot imagine what evidence one might offer to support either polar position.

          TangoMoments.com