[Tango-L] Style Wars: Truth and Truthiness

Stephen.P.Brown@dal.frb.org Stephen.P.Brown at dal.frb.org
Tue Nov 27 17:07:37 EST 2007

Konstantin wrote:
>But I think the key [to truth vs. truthiness] is how these groups
>deal with information that contradicts their views. The
>biased outcome/truthiness only persists if unfavourable
>facts are selectively rejected, i.e. the outcome is
>unfalsifiable.

I agree, although the statement is presented to an extreme.  All that is
required that the distribution of accepted answers has a persistent bias
in differing from the truth.

>This apparently tends to happen with authoritarians
>more, hence my mention of the concept.

It does seem likely to be correct that authoritarian organization might
lead to a greater likelihood of the rejection of unfavorable facts.  (It
may even be one definition of authoritarianism.)  So I will agree with
you.

Nonetheless, individual self-perpetuating biases can persist as was shown
by Wing Suen in The Economic Journal (April 2004), and informal networks
of like-minded individuals can generate group biases and polarization
without authoritarians, as shown by Munger in Public Choice (January
2008).  I think such group biases and polarization is evident in the
truthiness often found on Tango-L.

So, I think our views are converging.

Interestingly enough, for most tango dancers, their first introduction to
such biases likely came from their first teacher.  Most teachers convey
their own sense of style rather than teaching tango in a manner that is
indedpendent of style.

Steve