[Tango-L] Fw: Tete and Astird

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sat Nov 17 12:05:14 EST 2007

> Tete is the originator of modern close embrace tango.

yeah, well, here we go. "Modern close embrace tango" for one thing is a myth
as tango is usually danced in close embrace in BA, Tete-follower or not.
Besides Tete calls his style salon tango.

 And in the
> video that Ney shot, you're also seeing Tete trying to show off,
> something else you should remember, the man was never comfortable in
> front of crowds, and if the tango looks rushed, take something into
> account: Tete has control over all four feet!

What is the big deal about having control of the woman's feet? A good leader
usually does. And it better be without rush.

 Daniel corrected me, pointing out that yes Tete is showing
> off, it *IS* a performance you know...however, the thing to remember
> when watching this video is that not only is Silvia the vassal through
> which Tete is working and has control over her feet.

as I said, there is nothing special in this, that is what tango basically is
all about. And I know I will be flamed for this, but I don't find Daniel
Trenner that much of a dancer, it is just that he had a lot of influence on
the tango scene in the US.

Note that she
> does no embellishments, no adornments, nothing.

yeah, and why is that good?

He even back leads
> her through leading him.

I don't think I understand this statement.

Anyway, whether the woman does embellishments or not is usually the man's
decision. Some men enjoy conversation and give the woman some freedom and
moments to do her own thing and contribute to the form of the dance, others
are macho enough to lead absolute everything, thus exerting total control
over the woman's feet as you call it. If the man is good and puts a lot of
feeling into it, this can be intoxicating for the man, if he is mediocre it
can feel a bit boring and cramped. But one does not need to learn from Tete
to be able to do it, plenty of men can who have never met either Tete or
Susana Miller or Yvonne Meissner or anyone of that group.
I am not saying that one style is better than the other, I enjoy both, as
long as a man is a good dancer and cares about the woman in whatever is his
own way but what I do not like is people claiming that they own the tango or
that they have invented it. At least Fabian Salas is honest enough to say
that he simply took what was already there and analysed it and altered and
added a few little things here and there to suit his own taste.
As far as I can see, Tete is not doing anything special and Susana Miller is
basically a clever business woman. Maybe Tete is too, anyway, I know a
Japanese lady who went to BA, sat in a milonga and there Tete walked up to
her and said:"I am Tete, would you like to take private lessons with me?" He
probably could smell that she would be able to pay for it (she is) but it
did not work as that particular lady is a fan of Fernanda and Guillermo.