[Tango-L] Smart tango consumers

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 11:04:42 EST 2007

> > I know it must be difficult to constantly try to find new ways to sell classes and workshops but when it comes to musicality we as consumers should be weary of language that treats the subject like a math equation. To over intellectualize is to tear the music apart. Deconstructing it from an academic perspective kills the essence of this beautiful music and promotes dancing from the neck up. You then create, at best, a kind of clever but soulless form that dances on top of the music merely illustrating how the music works. The best dancing doesn't come from following this path. The best dancers don't use this method but teachers will to sell another class with a title a mile long convincing you that they can unlock the secret. > > Just something to think about the next time your subdividing your syncopation on the downside of the upside of the quicker slowbeat- in what timing? I forget.> > Don't be so smart your stupid.>
Yes, Heather, I know what you mean. Too much analysis and you can't dance anymore. Tango needs to come from your body, not your head.

However, on he other hand, we shouldn't simplify tango to just 'dancing on the beat' which, of course, is better than not paying attention to the music. Someone who just steps on the beat hasn't explored the rich musical variety in tango. So how do we get there? I think for many people it is just intuitive in that you vary the expression of your dance with the feelings the music produces in you. Sometimes you are inspired to use more double-time steps, sometimes more pauses, sometimes more sharp changes in direction, sometimes more pivoting moves. Kind of vague, isn't it? It probably can't be sold by a tango instructor. Most of the best tango skills can't. They come from your own discovery of the dance through dancing, dancing, dancing....

Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

Felix