[Tango-L] Tall Tango Dancers.

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Tue May 29 15:06:20 EDT 2007

Hi Mash,

I'm not 6'5" but taller than some, and I had the occasion to ask Alex Krebs how he leads shorter followers. He said that he uses a belly lead and keeps his upper body straight, but his hips are forward in relation to his feet (there is a bend at his waist). His legs come up at a steeper angle, and then his back is held at a different, shallower angle (relative to the ground that is). This is a contrast to the normal posture where the angle of a person's shins will match the angle of their back when balanced (assuming they are stationary, but ready to move. This adapted posture allows the shorter followers to connect their chest to his stomach without them having to bend backwards... or attempt to connect with their heads.  You definitely have to make sure not to stoop forward, no matter how tall you are. I've managed to dance with a partner who is 4'8" or so in heels with this style of lead... but I'm  6'1", not 6'5". I know one leader who is 6'8" and he complains that he wil
 l neve
r be good at this dance, because he's just too big... But he hasn't tried Alex's modified posture either.

Good luck,

Randy

From: "'Mash" <mashdot at toshine.net>