[Tango-L] Some live tango music tips from a musician's perspective

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Tue May 29 11:11:26 EDT 2007

100,000 tango dancers.

1,000 beautiful dancers.

1,000 "tango" musicians (gawd love 'ya).

100 beautiful players for dancing.

Writing about playing tango - 1  like Bob is all we need, really - if we
are realistic and not overly greedy in the circumstances.  And there
others like him who can PLAY as well ... though they will not put pen to
paper to talk to us as he does so bravely/generously.

And, I believe these players are networking - because they are very awake
people.

So, Bob is in close touch with people like Jonathan Goldman in Montreal
(Sweatshop Tango) - a hero of mine for his understanding and vision of how
to make live music inspire a hungry dancer. Jonathan does what Bob writes
about: he puts every note on the charts the musicians play from. And his
musicians play with fire and verve and make you forget about how much you
don't want to hear live musicians.

These guys, folks - a small group of leaders/arrangers around the world -
get it and represent a future we can look forward to.

I know there are more, but these are the ones who are known to me
personally at the present time. I look forward to learning about the
others doing a nice thing wherever they are.

If there are only 2 or 3 or 5 or 25 band leaders in the world (outside of
AR) who really understand what dancers want, HALLELUJAH!

Most fine musicians won't be writing to this list.

To have your contributions here, Bob, is one more meaningful and really
valuable way you are just making the world a better place for us.
;-)

k. e.

ToTANGO.net