[Tango-L] Live Music

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 14:49:20 EDT 2007

Mr. Adriel Jeremiah Azure says:    (I will give my opinion others may
disagre)

"I myself personally want to play what dancers want to hear but, and this
is a big but, dancers should not throw this request and it is a request
(should never be a demand) around as if it's no big deal to actually
recreate a certain type of music."

1 - I personally go to a milonga to dance, so I expect that the music played
is going to be danceable and inspirational.    I do not go to milongas where
tango music "for listening" is played, since even when one can dance tango
to any kind of music the feeling is different and the interpretation of such
music as a dance is difficult.

If you create and play music for listening that I like, I will buy the CD
and sit at home to listen to it. .

He continues:

"The whole "I'm taking my toys and going home" attitude of "if
it's not danceable I will walk away", will never create any sort of
creative, symbiotic relationship between the dancer and the performing
musician."

2 - I am not interested in creating any symbiotic relationship with a
musician that plays "non danceable" music when I go to a milonga.

At the risk of being repetitive I must say: I go to the milonga to dance to
good inspirational, danceable tango music that facilitates my interpretation
of such music in my dance and my connection and non-verbal conversation with
my partner.  I do not go there to make any type of charity work, to help
musicians to learn how to do their job.

and adds:

"Finally, (as if I should have to say this) be polite and leave the
pompous, arrogant machismo crap at the door. That's the one thing from
Argentinean culture we can do with out (I happen to be part Argentinean by
the way before anyone says anything)."

3 -  A specific type of music or dance are, in general, a product of the
culture of a people.  Tango is a product of life and culture of the people
of Buenos Aires the same as Jazz and swing is a product of life and culture
of the cities in North America, during a certain period of history .

If you ignore that life or culture totally, or in part you are going to be
unable to create that particular type of music or dance.
You can produce something similar but not the real thing.
This is happening even in Buenos Aires where some young musicians that did
not grow up in B.A. at the time of the golden era of tango, are unable to
write music as it was done then.

Mr. Adriel Jeremiah Azure, assuming that Argentine Culture exhibited  "
pompous, arrogant machismo crap " as you very graphically describe, you
(IMO) should not leave that fact of our culture at the door, quite the
opposite, you should reflect that characteristic in the music that you are
trying to create and play.  Tangos reflect that element of our personality
and dear culture, not only in the music and the dance but also in the
lyrics. (See el porten`ito for instance). You cannot dance tango without
poise, giving the impression that you are in charge, that you without any
doubt know what you are doing.

Finally:
None of your names are Argentine, Argentine culture is not inherited in
genes it is absorbed   .

Soy hijo de Buenos Aires,
por apodo "El porteñito",
el criollo más compadrito