[Tango-L] Flying into Buenos Aires - Airfares

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 19:42:58 EDT 2007

In early March lightning destroyed the main radar at the airport of Ezeiza.

This occurrence has been used by certain unions to pressure the government
to increase their salaries.

The marked improvement of the Argentine economy (has grown about 8.5 - 9%
for 4 years in a row) caused most unions to demand increases in their
salaries (15 to 25%). The unions whose demands were met say that air traffic
into B.A. is totally safe. The unions that are not satisfied claim that it
is not.

This was compounded by an unprecedented congestion in air traffic to and
from Argentina due to marked increase in tourism from abroad and national as
well.

The government stated that air traffic is safe. Flights are controlled
manually keeping aircrafts 10 minutes apart when necessary.   Replacement
radars were sent from Spain and other smaller radars were rented as well.
Manual control of air traffic is the standard in many parts of the world.

A couple of years ago I reviewed the incidence of aircraft accidents all
over the world. Argentina (if i remember well) had 11 (counting private  and
commercial planes) in 100 years; much less than most other parts of the
world.  I remember that the worst record belonged to Russia's Aeroflot with
big accidents almost every year and sometimes two per year.

In summary : the only result of all this problems so far has been some delay
of flights.  I have noticed similar delays in the USA as well.

As to the cheaper air fare for me over the years has been with Aerolineas
Argentinas.
I have paid between 450 dollars and 1000 dollars for round trip open for one
year from New York or from Miami.

Regards, Sergio