[Tango-L] HouseDance - not just walking

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Sun May 13 20:13:54 EDT 2007

This post really does show that there are two different views on dancing.
To some the skill of a well educated dancer performing a choreographed piece is the essence
of a good dancer, to the others it is the person who just dancers in the moment.
I certainly don't look down on stage performance, but I do feel like there is something
missing when I see heavy choreography.

I choose the clip I posted because it showed exactly what I mean by being caught in the moment.
The dancing was not so much about the show, but about abandonment to the music. These people
were just dancing and loving every second of it. Just watching it makes me want to go out into the
street and dance and get totally lost.

Interestingly I have just arrived back from seeing a house dance crew I am supporting
perform in town and I chatted to one of the new members about different styles.
He was telling me that though he has been trained in many forms of dance since he was young
what scares him the most is freestyle. Even though he is a very good dancer, close par with that
video; he says he really does not feel confident just jumping into a circle and making it up on the fly.

Maybe there are really are two different people when it comes to dancing, and the two are like
trying to get science and art to see eye to eye. Neither one is better, yet they both can't work out
why the other doesn't see why they are more majestic.
(Now before I get flamed I am NOT classifying whether one form of dance is a science or an art
that was just a metaphor.)

To put it simply, I can tell within 20 seconds whether I am going to enjoy dancing with someone.
It is the time between the moment I close my hand; to when she breaths in just before we make the
first movement. I know right then why she is there with me, whether it is about the dance steps that make up the Tango, or the Tango steps that make up the dance.

'Mash