[Tango-L] Application of Statistics to Tango Teaching

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 12:54:05 EDT 2007

Hello Igor,

I'm sure they are people who still teach figures and
patterns, but they tend to be more aware of issues such as
musicality and navigation than those who preceded them 10
or 15 years ago.  I've seen/heard more of them at least
make an attempt at addressing those issues.  This was
Sean's main point.

We do not just talk to our friends, but we also talk with
dancers from all different levels who come from all over
the U.S and the world.  Many out-of-towners who visit our
milongas or those in nearby cities, folks who move to
Pittsburgh, friends who visit or move to other cities,
local dancers if we're in a different city.  And they come
from different backgrounds and different style preferences.
 Over the years, this has amounted to hundreds of
observations.  Conversations with other organizers who have
been around as long as we have confirm our findings, as
well as, other measurements I sometimes track (such as the
types of workshops being offered on Tango-A).  Enough for a
robust sample.  Keep in mind, Igor, that these issues are
things that I have consciously tracked for years, not
something that I have simply noticed.  Your findings may be
different.  But they should be based on a robust sample.
Chris did not report using any such sample.

One of the sad things about some on this list is the
apparent intolerance for those who are inexperienced.
Teachers can be inexperienced, too.  But we see more of
them trying and the internet has been helpful in exposing
different issues.  Not all of the teachers in Pittsburgh
teach musicality, but they try to address it in the way
they hear the music and apply it in their own dance.  At
some level, I think most teachers try to do that, even
though you might not think of it as being musical.  But
consider that one of the tango masters might not consider
anyone on this list to be truly musical.

At a workshop recently, a teacher commented how years ago,
teachers would say "if only people could dance on the
beat".  Now they are saying "think how much better they
could be if they could...".  When is the criticism going to
end?  Why would a beginner want to try to persevere in a
hobby in which nothing seems to be good enough?  Same thing
holds for teachers, deejays, or organizers, as well.

Trini de Pittsburgh