[Tango-L] Tango Teaching

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed May 9 20:02:09 EDT 2007

No wonder we have those poles !

Personally, I think teaching tango poses and slowdowns before anyone is able
to make a step precisely on beat makes total mess out of the whole concept
of dancing.

Dancing each step on beat is essential to understand what a pose is.

Dancing IS movements to the rhythm, and the simplest rhythm a human body is
able to reproduce - walking. It means "on the beat".

Salon Tango is a slow-enough dance. Very slow. As I have found, most people
who make the figures faster are not stepping on the beat - they are too
fast. It is that they do not know how to keep balance, what a tango step is.
They are too fast not because they dance to the music, but because they DO
NOT ! Is it because someone said that it is not important to follow the beat
and musical rhythmical patterns?

On the other hand, observing how some people dance to fast and rhythmic
Tango-Orilleros squeezes tears out me. Move your legs, it is the fast tempo
!!!

Igor Polk