[Tango-L] The bar versus other venues for milongas

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Wed May 9 00:20:09 EDT 2007

I'd like to thank everyone who responded (over 20, mostly off list). The
milonga is helped by a separate room for the milonga and having a classy
environment, for example as part of a nice restaurant, which would draw a
quieter bar crowd, or people who don't just come to drink. The disadvantage
of a bar milonga is the need to bring in revenue for the bar owner. Since
tango dancers don't drink a lot, this is a risky relationship. Bar milongas
can sometimes bring in new people to tango, but it's probably not the best
location for recruiting.

We met with the management of the campus bar we were thinking about for a
milonga on their slow night (Monday). The manager kept on emphasizing the
need to bring in people who would spend some money (buy drinks). We couldn't
charge admission because some people just come to drink and the manager
didn't want to lose them. And even though there were only about 15 people
there last night, a few of them were obviously drunk and were shouting. Not
a good environment for tango, we thought. So we decided we would look
elsewhere.

Again, thanks for the input.

Felix