[Tango-L] The bar versus other venues for milongas

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Sun May 6 09:40:23 EDT 2007

Our tango group is looking for a location for a milonga. One suggestion has
been to host it at a campus bar that is available on a slow night. They have
a successful salsa dance on another night. The dance floor is pretty nice. I
sometimes go to and enjoy the salsa dance. However it is a bit noisy (the
dance floor is near the bar, not in a separate area) and people cross the
dance floor to get ot the rest rooms. To me tango is different than salsa in
that you need to concentrate more and I prefer quieter places. With tango
recordings being older and not as loud, I can imagine the bar noise being
distracting. I would prefer a place that we could dedicate to tango, but
several members of our group are excited about holding a milonga in a bar
and say that having a milonga in a public place will attract people. I don't
think we want to attract the people who come there to get drunk and I think
we could find a better place.

Does anyone have experience with hosting or going to milongas in a bar? What
characteristics make a good milonga venue, other than a good dance floor and
sound system and proximity to tango people? Is access to alcohol a
necessity? What about food service?

Felix