[Tango-L] dance music

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri May 4 21:42:26 EDT 2007

Hi Charles,

Yes, I've also read that history. But I'm talking about the dance music
made _in_ the Golden Age, and about _vocal lines_-- not necessarily
_vocalists_. D'Arienzo and many others often mined the older tunes for
material in the 30s and 40s (which is how the milonga got a facelift at
that time). It's said that D'Arienzo returned to the older 2/4 tempo
thereby, but from what I've read it seems just as likely that that's how
Biagi had been transcribing his parts for years. Regardless, D'Arienzo,
as you mentioned, often dropped the singer: I'm simply arguing that he
kept the singer's music, and distributed it among the sidemen while he
(et al.) made new arrangements.

In short, we (dancers) nowadays know a great many songs as
"instrumentals" (El recodo, A la gran muneca, El flete, Don Juan, etc.)
because the Golden Age bandleaders & arrangers frequently kept the vocal
line while dropping the vocalist. There was ALSO a new integration of
the singer into the dance band, yes-- but these two evolutions, which
have a superficial dissimilarity, were happening at the same time.

Whether the songs originated as old dance numbers or in musical theater
(which a great many did) doesn't much matter. The D'Arienzo/Biagi
"revolution" basically rebuilt a bunch of old songs from two-part sheet
music, one part being a vocal line. That, I surmise, was their
"formula," or at least a major element of it. So, rather than suggesting
that new bands today set down to copy the _finished product_ of such
groups-- which is rather lame advice to offer an artist-- I'm suggesting
that they might find a better avenue for creativity by looking to the
_method_ of, e.g., D'Arienzo, Biagi, Di Sarli, and so forth.

But for that matter, the method wasn't unknown to De Caro either
(Derecho viejo, Catamarca, El abrojito, etc.)

In any case, if we're going to offer musicians any Useful advice, I
think we have to dig a little deeper than the cursory write-ups on
TodoTango.com.

No?

More below.

Crrtango at aol.com wrote:
> Many early tangos and those from the golden age were originally instrumental, some with lyrics being added after the fact, for example La Cumparsita (originally a brass-band marching song transposed by Firpo into a tango) and El Choclo, just to name two very famous ones.
Not to quibble here, but the majority of _songs_ are written tune-first;
the text coming first seems to be relatively uncommon. And both songs
you mention have multiple sets of lyrics (and problematic copyright
histories because of it)-- which argues in favor of, if anything, so
strong a _vocal line_ as to demand sufficiently strong lyrics. I'm using
songwriter terms here: "vocal line" = "lead melody" (as opposed to
rhythm section or countermelody or harmony or what have you).
> Tango was mostly about dancing early on but there were always vocal tangos meant to be listened to and not usually played at milongas. Later as more vocals entered into the milonga tangos, they were often nothing more than a few lines, most of the song being instrumental. The singers (called estribillistas) were considered as backups to the more important musical line. In other words tangos were composed specifically as dancing songs.
First of all, how songs were composed and how they were played are two
quite different things: even in the Golden Age, with the singer
integrated into the dance band, they usually drop half the words (in the
recordings anyway). Secondly, the estribillista period as well as what
came earlier was kinda primitive for tango, both as music and as dance.
I can find very few songs from the Golden Age, recorded _then_ as
instrumentals or known today as "tangos," that were actually copyrighted
& printed without any lyrics.

And in any case, I'm arguing in favor of looking at the vocal line for
inspiration today. The aim of inspiration being to make new
arrangements. I honestly wonder why anyone would prefer the bloated
sound of Color Tango (on the recordings I've heard: maybe they have
newer shit now) to Pugliese's much better recordings of the same
arrangements. If they had at least made new arrangements of the
material, as De Angelis did with "La yumba," at least it would have
originality going for it.
> I think it is an age-old problem of musicians playing for themselves or playing for dancers.
In defense of musicians, dancers are hardly the only _audience_ one can
have.
> Too many musicians today [...] think that the traditional tangos are too prosaic and boring. They want to show off their musicianship.
So did D'Arienzo, so did Biagi, so did D'Agostino, so did practically
EVERYONE. I'm trying to address HOW ELSE talent can shine today, besides
ripping off Pugliese, late Troilo, and other then-concertmasters (and/or
their arrangers).
> Perhaps this is an opportune time for a good tango musician to emulate D'Arienzo [...]
"Emulate," exactly-- not rip off. Encouraging more Xerox "creativity" is
not the best way toward anything vital: we already have recordings we
can dance to. If new bands are going to make their mark now, they have
to do something original, either by making new material (as some do) or
by giving a fresh treatment to old material. Much of the
singer-integration that happened during the Golden Age came in with NEW
songs. That's one great option bands have today. Another is to dip into
the method (not the other results, mind you) that guys like D'Arienzo
did often use-- which is what this and my prior message describe.

I want to see and hear GOOD live tango dance music as much as anyone, if
not more. But if I can press Play and get better results of the same
arrangement (hiss notwithstanding), I can't call that GOOD. What I can
do is tell musicians that the small ensembles often have more order, and
a more danceable sound, because their point of departure isn't some
earlier arrangement, but most likely the two-part sheet music for (most
often) piano and voice. I heard good, danceable results, with a
sufficiently original treatment, in Atlanta last week. And I knew the
words, and I could hear the vocal line, and there was no vocalist. The
task of arranging becomes much easier if you have such a vocal line to
set down first, and can then line up everything else to support it.

And I will now stop repeating myself.

Jake
DC