[Tango-L] Abuse of tourists for rentals

Christian Lüthen christian.luethen at gmx.net
Tue May 1 03:16:52 EDT 2007

On 1 May 2007 at 2:05, Barbara Garvey wrote:

> IMHO the best protection from street crime, in Buenos Aires, Paris, or
> Indianapolis, is tango posture, a purposeful stride and a confident
> demeanor (even the legendary Argentine arrogance). As for economic
> rip-offs, do your homework.
> Abrazos,
> Barbara in Vallarta

Well said, Barbara!

You're absolutely right: people should just use their common senses!
My partner was in Bs.As. during 'the crisis', the demonstrations and
'riots'. Never felt unsafe ... as she knew about reasonable
comportment! If there's trouble arising; get away. So easy.

During my stay in Bs.As. I withdrawn 1000 Pesos from an ATM at my
neighbourhoods Subte Station. At the little outlet there I saw some
batteries I would need so I bought them. Suddenly I was
simultaneously (!) touched on my left hip and right shoulder ... =;-o ... I
immediately ducked and turned around ... to relieve: my young
personal tango teachers saying hello! They hadn't seen that I had just
gotten all that money out of the wall so they did not understand my
rapid reaction at first hand. ;-) Actually security personal of the Subte
station was allerted by my rapid movement but also realized that just
some friends were joking. All in all: i did not feel unsafe.
And of course I was aware of the risk taking that amoun out at once.
In these situations: in the worst case "just" handout the money to stay
uninjured.
People peeing their pants after 7 pm on the street in their local village
community should neither travel to Bs.As. nor any other town with
more than 150 inhabitants or any form of night life. ;-)

Take care, happy & safe dacing!
Chris

P.S.: During all my last stays in Bs.As. I usually felt more safe out on
the streets than out on the streets here in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.