[Tango-L] Women Tango Teachers

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 12:13:23 EDT 2007

Interesting.  One would not know that on this side of the
equator.

Putting aside Alicia, Susana, Luciana, and Cecilia who
travel, would you say that the women are as successful as
the men in getting work?

Trini

--- Deby Novitz <dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com> wrote:

> In Buenos Aires Mimi Santapa has been teaching both men
> and women for
> over 30 years - without a partner.  Her lead is better
> than the majority
> of men.  She learned to dance both parts when she was 4
> years old from
> her father.  There are many women teachers that are
> excellent who do not
> have partners.  If you really understand and know the
> professional
> community here you would understand that in a group of
> 100
> professionals, 70 are women, 30 are men.  Of the women,
> maybe 50 dance
> and teach well, of the 30 men, maybe 10.  So you are
> talking about 10
> men for 70 women.
>
> Look at them; Ana Maria Shapera, Myriam Pincen, Susana
> Miller, Graciela
> Gonzales, Alicia Pons...all excellent and without male
> partners.  There
> are many more strong women teachers.
>
> You will get no argument from the women here that the
> majority of the
> bailarins (males) are arrogant, machista, and difficult
> to work with.
> This is why many women choose to teach alone.  They can
> stand on their
> own reputation and do well without a male partner.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/