[Tango-L] Outside Influences

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 19:07:00 EDT 2007

Hello Igor,

I was not criticizing Argentines but merely pointing out a
facet of their culture.  If I was criticizing, I would have
used more adjectives.

I can see your point about the Argentine male's way of
walking.  However, I have seen Susana Miller turn men into
Argentine tigers.  Grrrr!  Unfortunately, it just doesn't
last.

As for men teaching women, I've come to a conclusion that a
man can teach a woman to dance well in his own style,
whereas women are better able to teach other women how to
accommodate different styles much better.  That's been my
experience, anyway.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> Trini:
> "the point in my post was that
> Argentine women teachers without a regular male partner
> seem to be treated with less respect in BsAs .."
>
> I came a long way to understand that if something
> happening, it is happening
> for a reason, especially if it is a custom.
> Instead of cheaply criticizing Argentineans that they do
> not treat women
> with the same "respect", try to understand why.
> I believe if they do, there is a reason for that.
> And I'd better look for the reason.
>
> And the reason is ( and that was discussed by Keith of HK
> ) that a man can
> teach both men and women a good tango. A woman have much
> more difficulties
> of doing it. Women are not men and this is it, that is
> how nature put it.
> Only a man can teach other men how to be a man in
> Argentine Tango. And at
> the same time a man can teach any women with ease. May be
> not to be a star
> of the show, but to dance well.
>
> You brought here Susana Miller right in place. Isn't it
> why men learned
> dancing from her in America are quite different because
> Susana Miller, a
> woman with huge influence and popularity outside of BA
> was not able to
> convey the right essence of a tango man?
>
> Igor Polk

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/