[Tango-L] "Original," "Oldest," etc.

Christian Lüthen christian.luethen at gmx.net
Sat Mar 24 13:26:16 EDT 2007

On 24 Mar 2007 at 12:32, Carol Shepherd wrote:
> Assuming that's not the objective in the first place, here's a
> suggestion on how to avoid that.  Why not rephrase this inquiry into
> "let's compile a list of all the tango festivals we know about, together
> with the city, and the year they had their first festival".
>
> Here's a start to that list:
>
> Festival Tangomarkkinat, July 1985 - ?, Seinäjoki, Finland

True!

Source: http://www.tangomarkkinat.fi/th/etusivu.htm

BTW: in the first year in 1985 Tangomarkkinat had 18.ooo (!) visitors!!!
In the best year Tangomarkkinat drew 130.600 (!!!) visitors (that was 1999).

What does all these numbers form all the diverse festivals tell us about the quality of the
next festival there: nothing! I.e. "Festival de la ciudad" in Buenos Aires started in 1998
when I loved it. It was great in 2003 but I liked it less in 2004 allthough bigger but also
much more commercialized!

Draw your conclusions, but most of all: go happy dancing! Any ney festival can be much
better than an old one ... and also: any perception is strictly personal!

Christian