[Tango-L] Interview with a taxi dancer

MACFroggy@aol.com MACFroggy at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 08:55:12 EDT 2007

Hola List!

I think Eduardo makes several good points in the interview in La Milonga.
He's obviously trying to bring more dignity to honest work. Don't forget he made
the distinction between "taxi dancer" and "taxi boy:" (a taxi "boy" is a
prostitute.) I think a better phrase for the service is "milonga accompaniment."

Huck asked,
"I wonder, would those who live in BA and post here
consider this taxi dancer's observations to be accurate?
Are most taxi dancers this discretely professional, or
are most on the sleazier end of the scale (or just plain
lousy dancers)?"

I can't speak for "most taxi dancers," Huck, but the best ones are
unobtrusive and perhaps they just blend into the milonga and aren't noticed. These
people are acting professional, like Eduardo.

Since tourists have been flocking to Buenos Aires to dance tango, a lot of
bottom-feeders have come out of the woodwork to take advantage of foreign
people's lack of experience and naivete. But this type of thing is as old as the
history of the world. These people give me an "ick" feeling when I see them
hustling somebody at a milonga.

The "just plain lousy dancers" are the young kids who work for an organizer
on the cheap. They haven't been dancing very long, and in all probability,
never in milonguero style. They are the obvious taxi dancers, but I wouldn't call
then at all "sleazy."

Last week I posted on the topic of taxi dancers on my blog, tangocherie:

http://tangoch
erie.blogspot.com/2007/03/taxi-anyone-which-taxi-would-you-hire.html

In a message dated 3/20/07 11:01:26 PM, Jantango at feedback.net.ar writes:

> The March 2007 issue of the magazine La Milonga Argentina contains an
> interview with a taxi dancer.
> Their website contains the text, but only in Spanish.
> http://www.lamilongaargentina.com.ar/MAR07/otrasnotas.php

Cherie

(54) 11 4932-5027
http://tangocherie.blogspot.com/