[Tango-L] Tourists & Janis - another perspective

Iron Logic railogic at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 17:58:03 EDT 2007

Hello People,
  After all this noise I read the post fom Janis.

  I agree we can and should take everything in a way that will benifit us..totally. Nevertheless her putdown of CITA deserves a comment ...or else unsuspecting listoros may take her seriously:).  Janis is only throwing mud on rival business. Not a bad business practice at all in my opinion.. good luck to her.

  Clearly a few old codgers BsAs are not amused by the success of CITA.  Pls remember so called milongueros danced normally with all movements when they were young. Now they are old and can not move much, and some people  pass this LIMITTION for a virtue! I mean with all respect for them, please dont be jeolus. People! when you dance and get old you will become them, no need to waste time taking lessons from them...they dont even know what they do, watch them if you like, that might help.

  On the opposing side there may be the musically challenged 'dancers' who may want pass of this as virtue as well....rebelion, innovation etc etc...[many many nice words].

  So they all have place in this world, so do we... let them do their thing:).
  There were great dancers in the past, there will be amazing dancers of new styles!.

  cheers, IL

"Trini y Sean (PATangoS)" <patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Nina,

As always, you bring out some very good points and I enjoy
reading your emails. However, let's not rationalize or
excuse rude behavior, as if the ends justify the means.
That works on both sides, as well. Had Janis put a little
more work into it, I am sure she could have made her point
without insulting people. But that is her responsibility
to own, not others to excuse.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Nina Pesochinsky wrote:

> Hello, everybody,
>
> It seems that everyone took so very personally what Janis
> had
> written. I have a different take on it. I assume that
> most of the
> dancers who had replied and were personally offended have
> at least
> one place in the world where they are not considered to
> be
> foreigners. I do not have such a place, and so here is
> my view:
>
> Sometimes, it is a great disadvantage to be immediately
> spotted as
> being a tourist/foreigner. This usually is a clear
> disadvantage in
> any new situation where you have not had the time to
> assess the
> place, the action of the people and their manners or
> attitudes. You
> are spotted before you realize where you are in regard to
> other people present.
>
> If you are in a part of town of any city in the world
> that is known
> for unpredictable or dangerous situations, there is a
> clear
> disadvantage in standing out from the crowd.
>
> In Buenos Aires, if you are spotted in the milongas as
> being a
> foreigner/tourist before you assess the situation, the
> codes, the
> people (whether or not you know any of them), the music -
> the general
> feeling of the milonga - it can greatly alter your
> experience of
> it. It changes how people see you, talk to you, ask you
> to dance,
> accept your invitations, what they talk to you about -
> everything!
>
> What Janis has described can build some awareness of
> certain
> signs. If dancers can become aware of some of these
> behaviors that
> give them away without their consent, they can control
> it. I think
> that it is much more advantageous to choose to be spotted
> as a
> foreigner/tourist or not instead of it happening by
> default.
>
> There may be some days when one says "Who cares! I am a
> foreigner
> and I don't care who knows it or why." There may be
> other days when
> one might decide to have a different kind of experiences
> that are not
> marked by clear labels of who they are or where they are
> from. I
> think that it is best if dancers have a choice in that
> and what Janis
> has written can help them make that choice from a place
> of awareness.
>
> The trick is not to be personally attached to any of the
> behaviors
> that Janis has described and not take the description as
> a mortal offense.

> [...]

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/