[Tango-L] Tango Preservation

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 17:15:47 EDT 2007

I believe that where the culture of tango in BsAs goes is
up to the people who participate in it, locals and tourists
alike.  But this is a collective "decision".

Ever hear of the Amish and Mennonites?  These are two
religious groups that live without electricity.  The
Mennonites have made a few adjustments to the modern world,
such the use of telephones, while the Amish have not.  They
farm organically without power equipment, ride horse and
buggies, wear simple clothes, etc.  A house-raising is
quite a sight to see.  Anyway, there are lots of them in
Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania, with a huge
community in Lancaster, PA, which we have visited.

Thousands of tourists come from miles around to experience
their rural way of life, especially for their wonderful
quilts fairs (their version of CITA).  The Amish and
Mennonites understand their interest and rely on tourists
dollars as part of their economy.  There are a few boors
among the tourists (such as picture-takers and rude drivers
who may try to scare their horses).  But the
Amish/Mennonites and their supporters are never rude about
explaining their customs to others.  And the system works
quite well.  There is concern that the younger generation
may not be interested in keeping up the traditions.  Some
of the younger ones leave and return.  Some do not.  But I
never hear the Amish taking tourists to task for what is
happening within their community.

Also, Igor, not all change deteriorates a culture.  I hear
better air-conditioning down there might improve things.
:)

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> What other responsibilities Janis has TO YOU?
> If you do not like it, or can not hold your temper - do
> not read it.
> Or should you demand apologies from others who insulted
> Janis personally?
>
> Tell me please, Trini, what do you think about
> Preservation of original
> Tango culture in Buenos Aires?
> Do you agree that it should be preserved at least for
> some more time?
> Do you agree that any behavior which people from outside
> bring to the Buenos
> Aires milongas affects that original native culture and
> if it is not in-line
> with it, deteriorates it?
>
> Igor Polk

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://patangos.home.comcast.net/