[Tango-L] How to spot the tourists in Buenos Aires milongas

Daniel Lapadula clubstyletango at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 15:14:00 EDT 2007

Bravo Manuel!.Anyway,Janis still a tourist here in BA.She never shall be part of the big Tango Family since she has always something bad to say about members of the tango community.She scam tourist with La Escuela de Milongueros,which does not even exist.
  The only thing she likes to do is talk wrong of many of the ones that are working with tango.
  And probably is because she is the one sitting at the milongas with no one inviting her to dance,most of the times...
  She pass to others her own frustrations.
  Pobrecita...
  Regards.
  Daniel

WHITE 95 R <white95r at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Hi Janis,

You forgot to mention some other things:

They arrive with wonder, enthusiasm and stars in their eyes
They arrive with love of tango
They arrive with hope to have a great time
They arrive with their hard earned cash to spend in BAires
They arrive armed with nothing more than their desire to experience the
tango Mecca
They arrive with their own sense of manners, their own customs and
experience
They arrive with more good will than ill will
They arrive tired, confused and hungry.
They arrive with whatever clothes they are used to wearing at home
They arrive with whatever tango knowledge they got at home.

I can understand that some tourists are more like the "ugly American", but
it's unfair to paint all of us who visit BAires with such a broad brush.
Nobody is perfect Janis, no the tourists or the locals. I think the tango
tourists in general are quite anxious about fitting in and getting into the
scene. They do not go there with the desire to make enemies or insult
people. Many of them are generous and pay exhorbitant prices for the same
thing that a local pays a lot less. Some times tourists get gouged and taken
advantage of. Sure, there are many boors who travel abroad and many locals
who are wonderful, welcoming, loving and generous. But the reverse can also
be true. No need in my estimation to write such condemning words....

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com

>From: "Janis Kenyon"
>To: "Tango-L"
>Subject: [Tango-L] How to spot the tourists in Buenos Aires milongas
>Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:53:33 -0300
>

>They arrive wearing a backpack.
>They change their shoes at the table.
>They wear black t-shirts and cargo pants.
>They arrive after a class wearing the same clothes and no deodorant.
>They are shy about making direct eye contact in order to dance.
>They walk across the floor to meet their partner.
>They accept verbal invitations at their table.
>They ask men to dance.
>They don't observe dancers before they dance.
>They begin dancing as soon as the music starts.
>They expect or try to dance every tanda.
>They dance consecutive tandas with the same man.
>They add embellishments to excess.
>They prefer quantity over quality of partners.
>They will suffer through a tanda just to be dancing.
>They dance with their eyes closed.
>They don't carry a handkerchief to use between dances.
>They share the table with their partner and wonder why locals won't look at
>them.
>They attract the worst dancers.
>They hire a taxi dancer without knowing if he can dance.
>They know they are beginners and believe the milonga is for practicing.
>They are hustled for classes by men who can't dance.
>They arrive early and leave within a short time if they haven't danced.
>They are the only ones doing the 8-step basic.
>They don't feel the music or know the orchestras.
>They believe they have the right to videotape and photograph dancers in the
>milongas.
>They think that every man in the milongas is a milonguero.
>They don't learn or follow the rules of the milonga.
>They attend CITA and go to the milongas to show off their new moves.
>

>Janis Kenyon
>Buenos Aires

Daniel Lapadula
ClubStyleTango at yahoo.com
Http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/tangoestilodelcentro

www.tangoestilodelcentro.com