[Tango-L] tourists in Buenos Aires

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 14:32:43 EDT 2007

Keith
Although I may share your opinion of Janis Kenyon, I still have to say she is
only trying to make people aware what it is like in a BsAs Milonga.
Like her, I also want to speak on the correct subjects at hand, but use the
wrong words to convey my message. I failed my Dale Carnegie course.

What I think here, is or what she may mean is
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Buenos Aires, learn the ways of the Argentines. Janis and I are both
purists, and want to keep tango the way it was in the 40s and 50s.
When the tango was at it's greatest. Tradition is very important to many
people and new things frighten them.

Think of a Buenos Aires Milonga as going to a friend's house for dinner.
This is their house, not yours. You want to respect your friend's home and
the rules they have while you are there, and I'm sure you want to be invited
back a second and third time. So Janis is only letting people know what the rules
of being an Argentine at a milonga is like, but I'm sorry to say, in a way
that insults many people.

There are many other Americans now living in BsAs doing the same service that
Janis is. Privately, I'll send any one the names of my favorites. Joanne and
I have used Janis's service once a couple of years ago, and find others of
better value.
One area Janis can improve is. She gives a lot of information over the
Internet for FREE. But when you see her in person in BsAs, the same information now
comes with a price.

Timmy in Cleveland
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>