[Tango-L] Tourists in Buenos Aires

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sun Mar 18 13:01:37 EDT 2007

I like them.  Not all of them.  I would be in big trouble if I didn't.
I rent two rooms in my apartment to them.  Tourists are people and there
are some who act like animals but then there are Argentines who act like
animals too.

Tourism was thrust upon Argentina by the devaluation of the peso.  The
country was not set up for the massive influx of tourism that the
government was promoting.  Although Argentina was a country built by
immigrants, they were not used to having so many foreigners descend on
them at one.  What happens is that you get some people who love the
foreigners and others who do not.  It was a big surprise to me when I
moved here that people simply did not like me because I am foreign.

There are milongas here in Buenos Aires that do not like foreigners or
tourists.  They retaliate by seating you in the worst part of the
milonga and at times have told people there is no room that everything
is reserved, just to keep people from entering.  These milongas are in
the minority.  They figure if they make your time unpleasant you will
not come back.  They fail to see you as a paying customer. They are rude
and a disgrace to our tango community.

Most of the milongas welcome everyone.  I don't know how most people
feel about tourists.  I can tell you that most of the dancers I dance
with could care less if you are a tourist or an Argentine if you do not
know how to behave.  A bad mannered person is a bad mannered person
regardless of where they are born.  I think though there are many
tourists who come here and do not behave properly, more than the bad
mannered Argentines.  It is easy to forgive someone for ignorance, but
not for arrogance.

For example, I have had to explain to women that they cannot ask a man
to dance.  That it simply is not done.  I explain about men coming to
the table, men with the cabaceo so that they truly understand the
codes.  It is acceptable to me that someone does not know all the
history and all of the codes, but accepts them.  They do not have to
like them, but they should respect them.  On the other hand there are
the women who tell me they think it is stupid.  I have to hear how "at
home" they can ask whoever they want to dance.  They then tell me that
they don't care, they are going to ask men to dance. That to me is rude.

Most foreigners learn to execute steps that include moves that take up a
lot of space.  They are used to dancing in open spaces, they are used to
showing off.  The majority of the milongas here are small floors that
are packed.  There is no room for that kind of dancing.  The foreigner
who comments on this and respects they cannot do ganchos and high boleos
is acceptable.  The ones that bully their way onto the floor kicking the
hell out of everyone in their way, is not.  You would think that common
sense would prevail, but unfortunately it does not.

For me it is a people issue. I don't care where someone comes from, if
they are living here or visiting here, does not matter.  I think people
need to respect each other.  At times it does get difficult here when it
seems like the tourists visiting do not respect the customs and pepper
every sentence with "That's stupid" or "I won't do that" or "I do what I
want."  Worse for me because I have to explain it and/or translate it to
Argentines.

However, there are some great people who come here to visit.  I have
made great friends with people from England, Australia, USA, Spain, and
Italy.  The fact that they are tourists is irrelevant.  The fact that
they are great people is.  That's my opinion and we all know I have many
of them.

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.10 - 9.066.007).
http://www.pctools.com/anti-virus/