[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:56:21 EDT 2007

>From: Keith <keith at tangohk.com>
>
>Tom, Manuel and other heel-walkers,

Hi Keith, first of all you should watch me dance before calling me a "heel
walker" ;-)... Secondly, what I was talking about and what I understood Tom
to say is that focusing on *fine* points of technique such as "toe
first"walking can be a huge obstacle to a beginner dancer. A lot of folks
have horrible posture and their walking or standing "normally" is terrible.
They must be taught how to walk and move through space before they can begin
to dance. If you tell them perfectly reasonable and correct points of
technique, they'll likely focus on it and forget everything else. In their
effort to achieve that point of technique they might end up twisted up like
pretzels.

I won't argue that technique is unimportant. On the contrary, as many
already said, the walking is most important. And proper technique is most
desirable for good dancing. OTOH, there are opposing opinions about the "toe
first" and "heel first" methods. I've had some very well respected
(Argentineans of high reputation) teachers and dancers tell me unequivocally
to land "heel first". I've also been taught by other equally well known
Argentinean tango teachers to step "toe first". I've learned that they are
both correct depending on how one dances, what style one uses, the
conditions of the milonga, etc.

Cheers,

Manuel