[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Fri Mar 16 10:34:42 EDT 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 1:56 AM, Keith wrote:

> Tom, Manuel and other heel-walkers,
> You can move around the dance floor, following all the tango
> patterns that
> you know, stepping in time with the music, leading your partner
> well, having
> good balance and posture, but unless you have the correct leg and
> foot action
> and correct foot-placement, there's a very good chance that you're
> not actually
> dancing at all. We dance with our feet and, as Deby said recently,
> when other
> dancers watch you dance, they look at your feet. They don't look at
> your "torso,
> hips and upper legs".

I disagree with this comment.

OF COURSE they are dancing: "Moving a beautiful partner around the
floor while the band is playing glorious music". It may be inelegant,
awkward, look bad, but by gosh it is certainly dancing, and that is
why they are there.

My bigger gripe would be when they don't step on the beat, or don't
move in a musical fashion, i.e. energizing movement to correspond
with the phrasing. If there is a single missing thing in Tango
outside of Argentina it is musicality.... who cares about the
footwork if they aren't even musical.

> I do agree with Manuel that "A more natural way of moving is
> crucial for dancing
> and any exaggeration must be avoided if possible."

Natural movement is the crux of my point. "Sidewalk walking" is
natural for people, so that is a great place to start. The average
guy arrives at tango capable of walking apartner around the room with
out bumping into anyone; many teachers take away that ability in
class number one, for example teaching them the 8CB with dreaded
backstep. Memorize that pattern and they won't be dancing (moving
around the room) for months.

I don't disagree that careful footwork and training and practice in
how to walk is important. But, my point is that you can't feed
details like that at beginners (or even intermediates), or else you
create strange distortions.

It is a fair question whether allowing them to continue heel walking
would instill bad habits. My experience (10 years) leads me to layer
the learning, starting with a foundation and adding details later.
What happens in the torso, a conception of movement and how to lead
follow are foundational.

Attempting to have beginners walk with toes first distorts the
foundation. Worse, it distracts them from a 20 other things that are
more important. Those poor guys trying not to step on their partners
feet, sticking their butts out, walking splay-legged, and now you
want to ask them to walk toe-first?

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
2525 Birch St