[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first, teaching history

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Fri Mar 16 03:56:23 EDT 2007

Tom, Manuel and other heel-walkers,

Yes, learning Tango with a 'normal sidewalk walk' does make everything a
lot easier. But that's often how their Tango ends up - looking like they're
walking around the dance floor. But, aren't we supposed to be dancing? I
heard a comment recently in Buenos Aires that 'many people practise Tango
but few dance it.' I've thought the same myself many times, but it was nice
to hear it confirmed in, when it comes to Tango, the only place that really
matters.

You can move around the dance floor, following all the tango patterns that
you know, stepping in time with the music, leading your partner well, having
good balance and posture, but unless you have the correct leg and foot action
and correct foot-placement, there's a very good chance that you're not actually
dancing at all. We dance with our feet and, as Deby said recently, when other
dancers watch you dance, they look at your feet. They don't look at your "torso,
hips and upper legs".

I do agree with Manuel that "A more natural way of moving is crucial for dancing
and any exaggeration must be avoided if possible."

But what's natural for walking isn't the same as what will feel natural for
dancing - given time, practice and correct instruction. Don't just take
the easy way - learning to dance takes time and effort and it isn't just
sidewalk walking. And once a bad habit is learned, it's very difficult to
change.

In the 90s, I attended beginner classes in Buenos Aires where entire 2-hour
classes consisted only of walking, with the emphasis on correct foot placement and,
trust me, it was never heel-first. And then we wonder why Argentines dance so much
better than the rest of humanity. It's all in the walking folks - wake up!

As for Tom's comment that ... 'learning tango steps is more important than focussing
on details of foot placement', I don't normally talk in terms of absolutes, but Tom,
you're absolutely wrong.

Keith

On Thu Mar 15 21:18 , "WHITE 95 R"  sent: