[Tango-L] Heel-first versus Toe-first

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 21:54:21 EDT 2007

Sergio said:

> IMO most of the great tango dancers step toe first.  What is understood as
> Salon style in the USA is supposed to be elegant, the body erect, walking
> toe first and long steps.
>
> This is the tango walk as taught by most of the Argentine tango teachers
> traveling through the USA.
>
> Nito, Carlos Copes, Osvaldo Zotto, Miguel Zotto, Carlos Copello and many in
> Buenos Aires like Mingo Pugliese, Puppy Costello, Fabian Salas, etc.

I watched footage of Osvaldo Zotto and Carlos Copello, and did not see evidence of this. In Osvaldo Zotto's instructional videos, he lands heel first and rolls onto the toes, however, he does keep his toes very low to the floor. The same holds true for Carlos Coplello, although if he is taking small steps, he will land ball first. When taking side steps, both dancers land on the balls of their feet, presumably to assist in pivoting maneuvers that may occur.

>From a structural and mechanical viewpoint, the heel toe scenario makes much more sense. In order to remain properly balanced and provide thrust, from a nearly vertical and balanced skeletal position, it will be much more difficult to land on the ball of the foot. If there was back pressure from the follower, it would be significantly easier to land on the ball of the foot and still give a strong impulse to the follower for steps. A natural walk is a heel toe walk in every day life. For those who have had knee injuries, you quickly realize that landing flat footed or ball first (in long strides) puts unnatural forces on the joint, and can even cause pain. It is still possible to look elegant by keeping the toes very close to the floor, where the walk seems to have the illusion of being toe first, but the reality is that it's not. When landing on the balls of your feet, unless the movements are small, you are automatically putting yourself off balance or extending the leg into
  the f
ollowers space before the impulse to move. So by necessity, I think virtually all leaders who dance an upright style land heel toe, even most of the so called show dancers. They simply maintain the illusion that they are putting ball first.

Randy F