[Tango-L] Acanyegado

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 14:53:51 EDT 2007

Very cool.

Bob, do you actually see "canyengue" this direction written out in tango
sheet music (to the extent that one actually sees any original scores)?
  Or is it the way the music is labeled after recording, ie, for
listening or for dancing consumption (ie "In the Mood" is IIRC a
"quickstep" on the 78, even though it obviously "swings").

We had a similar discussion on a lindy hop board about the 'swung note'.
  All the "jam by myself to early jazz doing choreographed routines of
charleston moves" enthusiasts insist that it is appropriate to play an
entire evening of early Sidney Bechet and still call it "swing night"
even though there will be no music played that has any significant
amount of swung rhythm.  Citations to the wiki definition of "swung
note" to no avail.

So are you saying from your standpoint that canyengue is a rhythm or a
manner of playing associated with a particular era (or perhaps with
certain composers, or orchestras)?  Is is possible to play many tango
compositions 'acanyengando,' just as you can 'swing' just about any jazz
song? (obviously one's MMV, some results much better than others)

Barnes, Bob wrote:
> Hi-
>
> To a Tango musician, "Canyengue" is the moral equivalent of swing.  The
> most common example would be that 4 written eighth notes would be played
> as "eighth quarter sixteenth sixteenth"  (i.e. lengthen the second note
> and quicken the third and fourth.  As an example, listen to the vocal
> line to "Por una cabeza".  It's written as even eighth notes, but tango
> musicians will usually add "canyengue" to give it that tango lilt, just
> as swing musicians make a distinction between playing "straight eights"
> or "swinging it".
>
> I would read "Acanyengado" as "With a canyengue feel" and would take it
> to mean that eight notes are not meant to be even.
>
> -Bob Barnes
> http://www.mandragoratango.com

Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw Associates PLLC
business, technology, entertainment and media law
"practical legal solutions for creative people"
Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
734 668 4646 v  734 786 1241 f
http://www.arborlaw.com

"When grain is made into refined white flour, more than 30
essential nutrients are largely removed.  Only four of those
nutrients are added back in a process called "enrichment."
Using this same logic, if a person were robbed of 30 dollars
and the thief then returned 4 dollars to his victim for cab
fare home, then that person should be considered "enriched"
by 4 dollars, not robbed of 26." -- Elmer M. Cranton, M.D.

Updates in business, technology, entertainment and media law

a r b o r l a w   --   http://www.arborlaw.com/blog/