[Tango-L] Sergio Natario and Alejandra - one more tango video

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Mar 7 13:41:59 EST 2007

Thank you Victor !!! Great couple I loved to know about !

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpTqBYOcVUE

This is not Nuevo, this is not Neo.
This is a performance video, but no more than anything else you can see on
YouTube. There is underlining style here which is very common on stage. But
just labeling it "This is a performance tango" does not solve any mystery
what style it is.

This is done in Tango Orillero style of dancing. Very old, "Traditional". Of
course, amplified by great performers. Many couples dance in this style, but
somehow it is missed in all heated discussions about energetic or "high
amplitude" tangos. May be because it does not require any alternative music?
It is perfect tango. There is loads of music for this style. This style can
very well attract attention of modern young crowd which sometimes need
something more than small-small steps.

Obviously, Tango Orillero was the fist candidate to come to stage since it
is a high-energy dance with jumps, kicks, ganchos and so forth. Very showy.
And lately that is concealing the origin of the style.

Igor Polk

Alejandra
Arrue.  I did find some info at this webiste
http://www.argentinatango.com/teacher_serigoalejandra.html    They are quite
unique in their style, and very nice people as well.  During performances,
they have become quite well known for a little play acting gimick where she
gets mad at him, ways her finger, then gives hime a slap.  This video is
obviously from a performance but I think their pure social dancing is much
more impressive.  They are really wonderful close embrace dancers.  By the
way, believe it or not, as wonderful and trim as she looks, she has SIX
children.  I have also heard that they will be coming to the USA for a tour
later this year but have not heard what cities they will be visiting.  If
you get a chance, they are definitely worth learning from.

Wishing you many great Tangos!!!
Victor
Tampa Bay, Florida

Victor Crichton