[Tango-L] Milonga Reviews

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:55:45 EST 2007

Keith & Chris,

     I agree that just calling something a practica does not make it one. If it's crowded (walks like a duck), then it's a milonga, regardless of what it's called. I admit it's sort of a circular definition in my mind. If the dancer density is low enough that a couple stopping does not impede traffic because there's plenty of room to go around them, then it's a practica, and it's OK to stop and discuss/work on a step.
     I'd be interested to hear what people in other cities have to say about this - do you follow different floorcraft protocols at practicas? Is it OK to stop and potentially impede traffic? [Just to be clear, let me say what shouldn't need to be said, that other milonga protocols DO hold at practicas, such as not bumping, kicking, or stepping on other people...]
     J in Portland