[Tango-L] Milonga Reviews

Keith keith at tangohk.com
Sat Mar 3 08:41:01 EST 2007

Hi Everybody,

After 5 weeks in Buenos Aires, last night I decided to check ot the Tango Nuevo scene at Club
Villa Malcolm. My god, what a nightmare. It was, without doubt, the worst standard of dancing that
I've seen since the 70s disco era; in fact, I hesitate to even call it 'dancing'. Previously I'd
taken the view that Nuevo could be accepted as another style of Argentine Tango, together with
Salon and Milonguero. But, based on what I saw last night, my opinion has changed. It bore
absolutely no relationship with what I consider to be Tango, i.e. what you can see in any of the
mainstream milongas of Buenos Aires.

So, what was wrong at Club Villa Malcolm? Well, very few couples had a connection or even a proper
embrace, most men spent the whole time looking at their feet, there was no ronda and collisions
were the norm, and don't get me started on the music because it didn't seem to be connected in any
way to what people were dancing. It didn't really matter while they were playing Neo Tango but
when they started to murder some beautiful Golden Age Tango, it became almost too much to bear.
And, finally, there was absolutely no sign of the elegance, style, serenity or beauty that I
associate with Tango.

My view now is that Tango Nuevo can be good, or even excellent, when danced by professionals or by
trained dancers, but for normal social dancers it's just plain ugly. These people should video
themselves to see how bad they look. But they were having fun so maybe they don't care. But was it
Tango? No way.

Keith

On Fri Mar  2 20:36 , "Janis Kenyon"  sent: