[Tango-L] Forum experiment: "Yira yira"

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Fri Mar 2 15:24:50 EST 2007

Dear list,

Having asked this question a few times off-list, to no avail, I pose it
here for what it's worth. I'd also like to test-drive a new method of
exchange, so, if you would, please send me any replies privately, and
I'll re-post a digest of the perceptive observations after a few days.
(Please specify if you'd like your remarks to remain anonymous.)

In anticipation of objections that I'm quashing open exchange: I quite
deliberately am. This particular topic is a matter of literary &
cultural interest, which would benefit from some editorial organization,
and which demands _informed_ speculation and comment; and it is, willy
nilly, MY literary and cultural interest, and I therefore have no regard
for absolute democracy in the handling of it. I'm asking for help with a
translation, not instigating a discussion open at both ends.

That is the nature of the experiment.

This being the matter in question:

What do the words "Yira yira" actually _signify_ in the context of
Discepolo's lyric? I am aware of the literal meaning; I am well aware of
the streetwalking connotations of the word, whether used as a noun or a
verb. I am not acquainted with the revue (a musical comedy?) of which
this lyric was a part, and which perhaps lends it additional dramatic
context. (Discepolo remarked in at least one interview that theatrical
presentation was an important component of his songs.) I am not certain
whether the word "yira" is, in the context of the song, being used as an
imperative verb or a noun; or whether it refers to the speaker, the
addressee, or the planet Earth. (I suspect it could well apply to each,
but I'd like to hear any arguments for canceling out one or more
options.) I am aware that R.F. Thompson in his "Tango" book has precious
little understanding of the song's addressee (i.e., its context even as
a detached monologue). Other translators inexplicably leave the word
"yira" in lunfardo. My research has yielded some useful commentary, but
not enough. I have not yet consulted any monograms on Discepolo or any
studies of tango lyrics as literature. I have three copies of the song
in book form (not translations), each of which has notes, none of which
shed any light on my question.

Which question is, to reiterate: What do the words "Yira yira" MEAN _in
the context_ of Discepolo's lyric?

If you would like to help me examine the matter, please write to me
privately, and I will do my best to assemble a digest of replies as a
responsible editor within a few days. If you're unclear about the nature
of my inquiry, please re-read the above paragraph before asking me to
clarify, because I probably cannot do better than that. If you would
like to complain about either the proposed topic or the experimental
method, please submit your junk mail directly to the List, so everyone
can read all about it while wondering how the place became such a tarpit
of discourse.

A lume non già spento,

Jake Spatz
spatz at tangoDC.com