[Tango-L] DJ behavior

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu Mar 1 05:35:58 EST 2007

requests for--

(and in response to much else as well)

I have no idea. But I do notice that the Decarians are getting more play
lately on the East Coast (which I'm happy about myself-- I quite like De
Caro, Fresedo, early Pugliese, Laurenz-- I'm fond even of the shitty
Fresedo recordings), whereas there appears to be a general backlash
against Canaro, at least where tangos are concerned. Evidently someone
said he was "too commercial," which turned a number of people off to his
manifest ability. I also notice that amateur DJs have a tendency to rely
on D'Arienzo and Rodriguez to such an extent that it makes them quite
banal. Too much beat without any foregrounding of melody is plain Dull.
(I offer this up solely b/c amateur DJs rarely get any precise feedback.)

Also, I observe that few DJs play chamber ensembles, except for the odd
fellow who realizes that Trio Pantango (and etc. contemporary groups) is
quite danceable, or who gambles on a tanda by the Ciriaco Ortiz trio
(circa 1930s), which I've never heard at a milonga unless I've played it
myself. (This only as a disclaimer: my experience is limited, and I pose
as a critic, not an authority.) The almost exclusive emphasis on
"orchestra" music is really something that could be more forgiving.
After all, compared to a chamber ensemble, an orchestra is just a large,
ungainly, vulgar affair, as many a string-quartet aficionado can attest.

When it comes to alternative music, I've observed that it's just a
matter of the evening's ride. When the DJ isn't creating a simpatico
vibe at 100% capacity, (some) people (sometimes) want something with
more immediate juice, whether it's 50s Pugliese (which I've requested)
or the Gotan Project (which I've also requested) or 40s Troilo (ditto),
or what have you. But when the DJ is on, I see old-schoolers dancing to
Bregovich, and new-schoolers dancing to Carabelli. This leads me to
believe that anyone who holds fast to reductive categories is not only
doing themselves a dishonest turn, but, when airing a restrictive or
dogmatic opinion, rather a fucking moron.

Spatz
DC

p.s. When it comes to "weird measures and chord changes" (etc.), I think
it's important to dispense with simplistic definitions. Rameau is his
day was a fine composer of dance music; I've vetted his work for tango,
and it doesn't work, because of the dance's nature, not the music's. On
the other hand, Biagi's suckerpunches come straight out of Mozart
(compare the Figaro overture to anything he recorded prior to his
"Caricias" sob-ballad period). Much classical music worth listening to
was originally dance music, or derived therefrom; but that means
nothing. To compose anew, one must have a creative instinct for what
works practically. Reference to history, or adherence to a proven model,
has never meant a goddamn thing (to a dancer) if the piece ain't got a
gut-level Dance-to-me pull. And since relatively few dance-tango songs,
as we now know them, were instrumentals, I suspect that a good lyric,
and good vocal line, have Some part in the equation that leads to
success-- especially since the "danceable" part of a song (for most
dancers) tends to be the accompaniment. (This in particular is a factor
many composers of new tango music overlook. Samples fill the gap, but
you cannot pave with them.)

As for brain-scans, I doubt anyone on this list purporting to be a
musician (or dancer) (or neither) has had one. Nor can I imagine a more
trivial trinket, if the question at stake is a matter of talent and
capacity. No lasting artist has ever needed any credentials but his work.