[Tango-L] Time in Classes, Practices and Milongas

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 28 01:26:16 EDT 2007

Too early immersion at the milongas, Ron?  To me, there's
no such thing.  In Buenos Aires, some milongas also have a
beginner's lesson beforehand.  One reason, as Susana Miller
explained to me, is so that people are there when the
milonga starts.  Deejays can start right away with the good
music, instead of having to build the energy up.  Well, it
works.  We've recently started a weekly milonga with a
beginner's lesson, and it's been quite a success and has
encouraged people to take regular classes.

If someone is a navigational hazard, controlling the floor
size will help (ours is about 18'x35').  And an early
lesson will help fill the floor.  Most beginners leave
before more experienced dancers arrive, so it never gets
too crowded.  And there's always teaching the women not to
put up with the guys dancing like gas molecules.

You're right about how some people at milongas really
needing to take more classes.  But those types are always
going to be there.  I think all one can do is work with
those who do take classes, grow your community and let
social pressure take it's course.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Tango Society of Central Illinois