[Tango-L] Tango vs Lindy exchanges and dance.

Doug doug at swingfusion.com
Tue Jun 26 14:04:49 EDT 2007

Carol Shepherd wrote:

-> I am (happily!) recovering from hosting at a weekend dance exchange, so
-> I thought I would share a different perspective on exchanges.
->
-> In lindy and swing, exchanges are usually just for social dancing: no
-> lessons, showcases or demonstrations, just non-stop dancing and dancing
-> with as many different partners from as many different places as
-> possible.  It's a jubilant and inclusive celebration of love for dance.
<snip>

I have only recently (November '06) started dancing Tango, having come from
the world of Lindy and Balboa (both swing dances from the 30's for you dance
troglodytes).  Although there is a component of preservation and reverence
of the masters in swing (For example, Frankie Manning in Lindy, or Willie,
Maxie, Dean etc in Balboa) I find a huge attitude difference between the
Swing world and the Tango world.  Swing is dominated by 20-30 somethings who
can be quite irreverent and generally view the dance as totally living and
evolving.  Tango appears to have a generally older crowd and seems much more
concerned with doing things the way that they are supposed to be done ("go
to BsAs").  This is not intended as a criticism, just an observation that
translates into strong differences in expectations in many aspects of the
dance and its instruction, and in what might be expected at an exchange.
(Carol - Can you believe that Tango would EVER have something like the Las
Vegas Lindy Exchange!!!  Not me.)

I have participated in Tango Jams (basically invent stuff and share it with
your fellow dancers) and have seen an openness that I haven't much seen in
the swing world.  So things cut both ways.  I think that the idea as I
understand it behind the SF Exchange is in fact quite wonderful and would be
a useful addition to the world of Lindy exchanges.

Now if I could only learn to walk like a milonguero ........

Doug