[Tango-L] exchanges

Carol Shepherd arborlaw at comcast.net
Tue Jun 26 10:36:51 EDT 2007

I am (happily!) recovering from hosting at a weekend dance exchange, so
I thought I would share a different perspective on exchanges.

In lindy and swing, exchanges are usually just for social dancing: no
lessons, showcases or demonstrations, just non-stop dancing and dancing
with as many different partners from as many different places as
possible.  It's a jubilant and inclusive celebration of love for dance.
  There is usually an outreach component to the exchange -- several of
the venues involve dancing in a public space so that everyone can see
how much fun it is to learn to dance and be a social dancer.  This past
weekend was a soul, blues and Motown exchange and we danced in a
progression of different storefronts and restaurants downtown and at a
street music festival, to promote social dancing to the masses...but
more importantly, because it's really fun ;)

I have been to tango festivals, salsa congresos, and swing and lindy
exchanges.  The energy at the tango festivals, to me, is of a different
kind.  In tango there seems to be a higher percentage of people who are
focused exclusively on the refining of technique and one's place in the
dance hierarchy.  A lot of tango seems to be about constantly learning
learning learning and 'not being worthy'.  Are there ever going to be
times when we can drop the student demeanor and just 'come out and
play'?  Maybe it's the inclusion of the lessons and workshops in tango
weekends?...they become the weekend's focal point for those who would
rather learn than dance.

I would love to see more exchange philosophy and energy (low-key,
positive, inclusive, non-instructive, pure social dancing) in the US
tango scene.

Make ochos not war,

--
Carol Ruth Shepherd
Arborlaw PLC

"legal solutions for 21st century businesses"