[Tango-L] SFTX - The Exchange

m i l e s miles at tangobliss.com
Mon Jun 25 20:00:02 EDT 2007

(from TangoBliss.com)

The Exchange Itself

Many have asked this same question, what is a “tango exchange” ? My
response to that question is somewhat of a derivation of an idea of
what Homer had in mind. I like to think of the answer to that
question this way:

First let me tell you that the Exchange is NOT a bunch of classes
that you sign up for and then stand around in a circle while a
teacher leads you through a series of patterns. Truth be told I hate
that format for learning tango. There has to be a better way. There
just has to be.

The Exchange is also not a critique session of what you’re doing
wrong or right. It never ventures there. The Exchange focuses on
possibilities, variations on a theme, and errs on the side that
everyone (and I do mean everyone) has something valuable to impart
either in the form of a question, an idea, a thought, or a consequence….

The idea for the Exchange is something that so rarely happens in
Tango, most definitely NEVER at a Milonga, and almost never at an
actual practica with MULTIPLE partners, and damned never NEVER in a
group class, and not ever in a private.

And what is that something ? Its the open sharing of knowledge. It
just doesn’t happen. Stop and think about it for a moment. In what
other context do you ’share’ your knowledge of tango, your
experiences, your successes, your failures, your explorations...? Now
add to that question, at what other time in your tango experience
have you sat with like-minded souls and not just talked tango (which
we all do till the wee hour of the morning at many a festival or all
night milongas), but actually worked on movements and sensations,
feelings, and patterns. Now add to that again with a large enough
group, say anywhere from 20 - 30 ppl of leads and follows. Where
leads work with leads as follows, and or follows, and followers work
with leads as leads and followers. When does this ’sharing’ of
knowledge happen ? Almost never. Its never concentrated in one place
and its never more than on a one on one basis with your local
practice partners. Never on a grand scale. Never.

In Argentine Tango, the keepers of the knowledge (teachers) have to
make a living somehow and they hold that knowledge unless of course
you pay for their time and their expertise.

In a group class you can ask questions of the teachers, but engaging
the class in an active discussion and exploration of a given topic or
even a wide array of topics, not bloody likely.

In a private you can ask questions of a teacher and their experience
of the material and sometimes you’ll get what they’re yapping about
and sometimes you won’t but still you’re paying for the experience
regardless of your level of success (I don’t know that many
professions where you get paid no matter whether you fail or succeed
in your task.  If tango teachers were paid on level of performance of
their students and not the time involved in teaching I think we might
see a slight shift in priorities)...

In a private practice session its one on one. You, your partner, the
music and a dance floor. And usually its, in my experience, limited
as that may be, where one person is directing the traffic of what
they want to work on. Its never bi-directional. And not more than
once a week, unless you’re me (in which case its 4 to 5 times a week).

So the Exchange fills that gap...kinda.

Truth be told though from my perspective it can not fill that gap.

The reason is because it doesn’t happen enough, once a year just
doesn’t cut it folks. How often do the Tango Brethren in the United
States get together (and I don’t mean at a social tango festival) ?
How often does that happen ? Damned near never. Sure at a festival
you see the ‘teachers’ huddled together and dancing the entire time
with each other and rarely do they deign to look in your general
direction (and rightfully so when you stop and think about WHY that’s
so). But an open exchange of tango knowledge ? Not happening. And
certainly not in a class room environment.

Tango has traditionally from the various sources I’ve discussed this
with been kept a secret art for some reason. Those who have the
knowledge hoard it. Those that don’t must come to the keepers of the
flame and pay homage, whilst sucking up, one may or may not gain that
which one seeks, as far as tango knowledge goes because in the end
you must integrate what you have learned. And ultimately its up to
you to make it all work.

The exchange seeks to change that for 4 days out of the year and
hopefully change the paradigm a bit, slowly.