[Tango-L] The cost of things in Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Mon Jun 25 14:44:43 EDT 2007

A recent newspaper article reported how it's getting more expensive for
portenos to go out.  It can cost about $300AP for theater tickets, dinner
and taxis for an evening out for a couple.  The expense of going out is a
topic of conversation among local dancers in the milongas.  A friend told me
that she can easily spend 40 pesos to go to dance (taxis, drinks, food,
entrada, coat check) so she's not going as often as she used to.  Prices are
rising, but personal income is not.  Entradas which were three to five pesos
three years ago are now ten pesos.  The taxi meter starts running at $2.60.
I used to take a taxi to my favorite place for $3 pesos; now I walk there.
The best bargain in town is the bus which is still 80 centavos.  The milonga
entradas are much lower than the clubs for the younger set where they pay an
entrada of $30AP and $12-20AP for drinks.  The most expensive outing is a
tango show and dinner that runs up to $500AP per person which only
foreigners
attend.

The Sunday newspaper announced that the five-star Park Hyatt in BsAs is
offering tango classes with an hors d'oeuvre buffet and champagne for $120AP
per person.  Hotel rooms run $800+US per night, so their clients won't blink
at the price.  Many portenos take free classes at cultural center because
their limited budgets can't handle the average $15-20AP charged by most
teachers.