[Tango-L] Interview with Gustavo Naveira, Part 1

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Sun Jun 24 13:05:26 EDT 2007

The interview with Gustavo is a wonderful contribution to the List, I'm
eager to read further installments. Al and I attended many classes at
the San Martin Cultural Center, not in the '80s but 1990-92; it's
interesting to learn that these centers were established by the Alfonsin
government. And it's fascinating to know how instantly popular tango
became in those years.

However, something puzzles me: we did not see young people and new
dancers in the milongas in the late '80s, early '90s. Al and I did see
lots of young dancers in classes such as the Dinzels' or Copes' and at
the practica run by Gustavo, Fabian Salas and/or Mingo Pugliese at
Cochabamba 444, but almost never in the milongas in the center or in
neighborhoods like Mataderos and Villa Urquiza. With the notable
exception of young dancers who were professionals, like MiguelAngel
Zotto and Milena Plebs, Carlos Copello, etc. and aspiring professionals
(almost all those we knew are now on stage and/or teaching
internationally). We saw almost no other young or apparently new dancers
in the milongas until at least 1994, (by which foreigners or tango
tourists were noticeable in milongas and classes). Perhaps previously
the young/new dancers went only to practicas because they were smart
enough to know that they weren't ready for the milongas ?????? ;-) Or,
since we didn't go to every milonga, perhaps they were at Parakultural
or La Catedral in the years before we checked out these spots.
Barbara