[Tango-L] Videos of Dancing at Milongas

Keith Elshaw keith at totango.net
Wed Jun 20 16:39:33 EDT 2007

I feel exactly as Stephen does.

It is a gross invasion of privacy by people who should know better.
SHOULD. Anyone doing this video shooting thing without asking permission
has their head up their  ... where it shouldn't be.

Also, most people don't read Google's fine print about uploading to YouTube.

They own it forever and can do whatever they want with it.

These are the same people who know and keep every search request you have
ever made. And apparently that is because they intend to do something with
it all one day. Like sell it or trade for favors with people who control
governments by whatever means. Otherwise ... why keep all that info?
That's something else.

To you guys just shooting and putting it up: who gave you the right? Where
will you be dancing next? We'd like to shoot THAT and put it up. And
probably have a good laugh.

To paraphrase:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, shoot.

And Upload. And bring condemnation upon themselves.

Get a life.

And if you think you are "helping" by posting shots of a milonga or a
festival, I say you are being disingenuous.

Looking at this footage people have been posting lately makes one think,
oh well - I didn't miss anything.

This is not fair to the organizers.

You cannot take a snapshot of the Universe.

A video does not represent what people in the room feel.

The life you can have by leaving your camera at home will bring you
wonderful tango moments, I'm sure. Looking through a lense won't.

Tango is about dancing. Not looking at your picture of it. You
shooters/uploaders are REALLY annoying. To put it mildly.

You ask for vilification.