[Tango-L] Tango Teaching

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sat Jun 16 16:00:00 EDT 2007

Trinidad Regaspi <patangos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> qualitative information (such as what Sean has gathered for
> well over 6 years) is often reliable enough to suggest
> findings with a reasonable degree of confidence.

And the greater the suggestibility, the greater the confidence.

> I'm not sure where you're getting 20 classes and 1 milonga.

As I said: your current Pittsburgh tango society agenda.

> That aside, Chris, I've never been able to figure out why
> it matters to you how people choose to spend their time,
> whether in milonga or in a class?

20 classes vs 1 milonga is not what I'd call much of a choice for dancers.
However clearly that's the preferred choice of the organisers. I guess if
your aim is teaching people to take more classes (rather than to really
dance), then your teaching is a great success.

> Doesn't it all just mean that tango is being shared and enjoyed?
> Isn't that the point?

It depends on what you think tango is. For me, it it what happens in a
milonga, including the girls, DJ, live music, sitting and chatting with
friends, listening, watching, drinking... and my choice of when, what and
with whom to dance. Remove all that and replace it with a teacher and
his/her latest step or technique theory, and no, what you have is not
tango. It is merely Tango Studies.

--
Chris