[Tango-L] [TangoDJ] clueless respnses to tango music survey for dancers?

garybarn@ozemail.com.au garybarn at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jun 12 19:32:04 EDT 2007

I share some of Tine's concerns about the results coming in, but
there are other explanations for some parts,  and I think we may be
having unreasonable expectations of what such a survey might tell us.

On 13/06/2007, at 1:22 AM, Tine wrote:

> I noticed that a fairly large proportion of people claim that they
> are able to identify an orchestra when they hear it at the milonga
> (about 2-thirds of respondents claim they recognize the music half
> the time or more often).

Two very different questions!  The actual question was

> At a milonga, how often you recognize the orchestra who plays the
> music (by the end of the tanda)?

which some would interpret as it says, 'recognise',  but Tine and
perhaps the survey writer mean 'can name'.  So, the question is not
clear enough to isolate the issues.

On the particular orchestras mentioned, I agree there are some
strange results.  But, as someone who recognises 75% of the
orchestras and songs at our milongas, but couldn't name them to save
my life without a trawl through my collection, let me suggest some
songs I have heard which I find at least good for dancing, and in
some cases exceptional.

Note that the question was:

> Select all the orchestras you really like. Please select all
> options that apply,

Note, it does not ask "If you were DJing, which orchestras would you
play most"  or "what styles is this orchestra best at"

> I notice that up to 13 % of respondents like to dance to milongas
> by De Angelis,

El Torito, De Angelis, Alfredo Y Su Orquesta Típica, Instrumentales
Inolvidables

(Not the best version, but  a nice change)

> Fresedo,

La Trampera, Fresedo, Osvaldo, En FM Tango "Milongas... pa' sacarle
viruta al piso"

> Pugliese,

Un Baile A Beneficio, Pugliese, Osvaldo, Tango History
Tortazos	, Pugliese, Osvaldo, En FM Tango "Milongas... pa' sacarle
viruta al piso"

again, Pugliese milongas are not at the top of the list, but make a
nice change.

> and up to 14% to vals by De Caro,

Beatriz, De Caro, Julio y su orquestra, Bien Jaileife (Reliquias)
Mamá Yo Quiero Casarme, De Caro, Julio y su orquestra, Bien Jaileife
(Reliquias)
Esmeralda, De Caro, Julio, Cantantes: Roberto Medina Y Roberto Taibo,
Todo Tangoclub #9: Las 4 Estaciones Decarianas - Restrospectiva
!Ay Elena!, De Caro, Julio y su orquestra, Bien Jaileife (Reliquias)

Similarly, a nice change, that I like dancing to.

> No less than 31% likes to dance to Firpo (compare to 40% for Di
> Sarli)! How on earth would they know, you never hear Firpo at the
> milonga. I have certainly never heard Firpo at the milonga as far
> as I can remember. I don't know his repertoire really but I
> recognize him. If I heard 1 set in 3 years that would confirm
> rather than negate this. I don't mean to pick on Firpo, he's just
> an example.

40% for Di Sarli I cannot explain, and the others you could quibble
about,  but how you could you leave out Firpo!

Just for example:

Milonga Orillera, Roberto Firpo, En FM Tango "Milongas... pa' sacarle
viruta al piso"
Eternamente, Roberto Firpo Y Su Cuarteto, Tangos Y Valsecitos
El Once, Roberto Firpo Y Su Cuarteto, Tangos Y Valsecitos
Va A Dar Que Hablar, Roberto Firpo Y Su Cuarteto, Tangos Y Valsecitos

I agree a made-up orchestra would help sift answers, as would other
standard survey control mechanisms.

But, I suspect that this kind of written survey of names of
orchestras is very unlikely to reveal the actual detailed music
preferences of the dancing public. And anyway, there is another good
way of surveying this -- that is the job of the DJ on the night,
watching the dancers and the sitters.

I still think it's worth having a go at surveying things like this,
but often it reveals more questions about the questions, rather than
answers as hoped!  So thanks to Sorin!

my 2.2 c

Gary